Today’s Woodside Community Church (Baptist) began as an effort of several men from different churches around our present area in the 1870’s. They had been concerned that there was no significant Gospel witness in the area – an area with far more “woods” than today. They began a “Sabbath School”, eventually meeting over a carpenter’s shop near present-day P.S. 11. This “school” developed into a church, over the years, that eventually became located at the corner where Woodside Avenue, Roosevelt Avenue, and 58th Street meet (where McDonald’s and the Bagel Shop are today). The church building at that site was a traditional church structure with steep steps rising from sidewalk to the church’s front door. In 1887, they officially incorporated with the State of New York, as “The First Baptist Church of Woodside, Long Island”. (Queens did not become its own county until 1889).
When the 7 train was built on Roosevelt Avenue, the noise become an almost unbearable hindrance to worship services. So a new location was sought out – a vacant, wet piece of land was found nearby on 58th Street, and a new building was built in the early 1920’s. The church changed its name in 1926 to “Woodside Community Church (Baptist)” The church parsonage was completed in 1959.
Today we are a multi-national church committed to God’s Word, the preaching of the Gospel, and missions.